Thursday, October 21, 2010

New Gorillas in the Mist?

Could it be true that today's marketers are heavily borrowing from Anthropology's methodological toolbox?
  • As a lover of Anthropology (I even received my bachelors degree in the subject), I admit that I am both pleased and flabbergasted if market researchers are driving harder towards participant observation and ethnographic research.
  • I love this idea because it means there might be a perfect job out there for me afterall.
  • But I am a skeptic. In my experience, my majoring in Anthropology usually inspires a laugh or possibly a blank stare from people.  In scientific research and in business, I have found that Anthropology's qualitative methods receive little respect.  That's part of the reason I returned to business school!
http://www.inc.com/magazine/19980701/964.html
  • What is the appropriate mix of research methods?
  • When the marketing researcher/ethnographer puts her suit and high heels back on and returns to the office, how did she present her findings in a convincing way?  How do marketers translate their findings into business language that their CFOs and CEOs will understand?

No comments: