Thursday, October 14, 2010

Difference Between Spam and Email Marketing?

As I know, E-mail marketing (on the Internet) is now very popular with companies. E-mail marketing is reported as second only to search marketing as the most effective online marketing tactic. Then I think about my mail box, nearly 50% of my emails everyday is spam (as I thought), then I never access them. Then now, I wonder myself, is there any e-mail marketing that I carelessly categorized them as spam. As one normal customer, how can I differentiate between Spam and Email Marketing? For my case, if I don't understand the difference, my e-mail is most likely spam. Both email marketing and email spam are basically advertisements or messages that people would like to convey with others. Both are common on the internet and are often received by users with an email address. However, what draws the line between the two? Am I right to think that spam and email marketing are the same, the difference is just only that spam is the terminology used by the recipients; E-mail Marketing is an expression used by the senders?

To satisfy my curiosity, I read some websites and found one that may be also useful for you to answer this question. Please click this link to find some good information on email marketing that may give you more details on the differences.

http://searchcrm.techtarget.com/definition/Learn-IT-How-Spam-Affects-Email-Marketing-Campaigns


2 comments:

Davey said...

I think from the point of view of inbound marketing, spam would be any unsolicited email message trying to sell you some product or service. this means that if a marketer sends you an email just because for some reason they got your email address (and not because you're interested in their offering), that's spam! :)

hodung said...

@Davey: Thank you for sharing your knowledge! I agreed with your point of view. Now, I can know how to distinguish among my emails and better manage my mail inbox.