Monday, November 10, 2008

Interested Case Study BUT

Dear friends,

I would like to share my experience in case study.
All case assignments are quite interesting and they all are related to the real world marketing issues. Isn't it? But they are rather complex and they have included so many different data. There is no way to go over them. We have to deal with such kind of data for our analysis and report.
In bankinter case, there are 11 Exhibits which have given different information and numbers from various point of view. Moreover, they are main sources for our answers. When I considered for answers, I was confused what data should be taken out, how to relate to answer and how to calculate. At first, I thought most of the numbers are related to answer. However, if I tell about all numbers, the report might be so long . If not, it will not be enough I think. And I don't know whether my answer may correct or not. Upon that, I took so many hours dealing with such kind of things. The main difficulty for me is that I could not relate the number to the answer correctly and my considerations were so scattered. But, I had to type the report as I thought. But it was different from Professor's answer in somehow. Phew! how difficult the case you know. Anyway, I have to learn more to be familiar with numbers because I have to deal with numbers in the real world by any means. There might not have ways to avoid them. But........

4 comments:

ma xin said...

i agree with u,lei. although i am taking financial accouting courses right now,still very difficult for me to analysis those number,i know the basic method to analysis the number, but the hardest part is which method u use? which numbers u should focus, not all of them, u should pick up first, as the bankinter we focused on caculating the profit, the ITV different group focus on different method to caculate the numbers, our group caculate the net income.As prof. said choose different method to caculate the numbers, sometimes u will get the different result, give the different recommondations, therefore i wonder is there any method that can teach us, how to choose the right method to caculate the numbers? i know different cases have different situation, but is there any possible way to find the
structure of caculate the numbers? especailly for the first step...anyway, i think we improved one class by one class!

Yac00b said...

Well Said Ma Xin... We (have) improved our case analysis especially the financial part ever since our first one.

Lei, Prof. Sugai only needs some simple analysis. Let`s think of the cases we`ve had so far, almost all of them had simple calculations like Break-even, profitability and click through rates. Most of these tools are available online. The issue is to decide which one. The answer is quite simple... ask people who know or simply check with Prof whether you are on the right track or not.

I think the problem is most of us are over-analyzing the numbers!

Larry Wang said...

I agree with both Maxin and Lei.

I am already in that situation.However according to Yacoob, more often that not people try to over analyze things and get in the state of confusion and sometimes quite overwhelming for them. I don't think it's a good culture to be in where u constantly analyze until you paralyze your brain.

Cases are all very interesting but when the numbers, excel figures and assumption starts pouring in, it's kind of a hodgepodge to have for one day. In order to built discplined financial analysis, we must hold a BUSINESS 101 class.

Lei said...

I agree with you Yacoob. I think I spent about 70% of the time on choosing appropriate number and relevant data for case. Most data come to my mind that they should be analysed but actually not like that. However, all are related to every problem by somehow.

Whatever, we are practicing here at IUJ and we got idea case by case how to deal with too much data and how to use for our case. Specifically, we are improving to draw out the data.

I think we should love data.