Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Google Image Labeler

http://images.google.com/imagelabeler/

Has anyone played Google's Image Labeler?  I spent some time playing it today.  It's pretty fun, although I'm not sure why I think it's fun.  Maybe it's just a good way to procrastinate.

In case you're unfamiliar, Google Image Labeler will pair you with another person on the web and will show both you and your partner a series of images over a 2 minute time period.  You have to type any words that come to mind that you associate with the images.  If you and your partner match words, then you get points.  The more detailed your match, the more points you get.

Google Images uses the data from this game to improve their search results when people search for images.  Does Google use this data in other ways?

1 comment:

taj said...

I actually spent some time playing it yesterday, and I do agree, it's so much fun. I also think it's such a smart way to squeeze information out of people while they’re enjoying it. I mean, I noticed when I was playing it; I couldn't help but think really hard about what these images remind me of. Usually I’m just too lazy to think about such stuff, and I would just write bogus nonsense, but every time I played the Google Image Labeler I wanted to get more points, so I would just keep thinking harder and faster.