Sunday, December 11, 2011

Stuck in the middle

There are moments I am astonished at what I learn in the class, particularly those technologies that are already around us yet, unknown to IUJ geeks unless they've enrolled in e-marketing. I walk to the dorm thinking, am i just shrinking? Developments have no bounds. I am amazed that I no longer can count how many times I mouthed those videos in class to friends, in chats, and even posted my exhilarated status in FB after the lesson on personalization & privacy. Data mining behind my back? Or, just under my nose? Goosebumps!

Perhaps, too, I testified too much one asked, is e-marketing offered next term? Darn. "Iwww, 2nd years shouldnt ask this," I laughed. I'm happy that one class brings me to the world's phenomena that somehow advance me from the rest. I look at my listeners and I see a bunch of ignorant like I used to be. Hahaha.

Then, the future. This is tricky. There is a present which is yet a long future for the rest of the world. My country. I look back home and see that so much of what I know now is so much for it yet. Siri, for one, is yet on her way to our capital. The flat surface technology will have a long way to go. The roads there are bumpy and dense. We have to cope, yes, but we cannot hurry.

There is a great divide that technology caused in the Philippines. Of course, some have ample and others are empty. Merely a handful own a smartphone. A large population do not even have a backward PC at home. And here I am learning that the far greater privileged can soon smell just about anything through their gadgets. It warps me.

My life in the capital city helps me cope easily. I understand what is happening. I like advancing. Yet, if I need to be a marketer CEO even in Manila, most of the tools and techniques from e-marketing are not present, they are future. And when I finally have them there, in countries like Japan, they shall be past. In developed economies, what I learn in the class is history. Technology eccentrics won't stop.

Meantime, I'm stuck in the middle... 'til i dunno how long.

No comments: